by Hannah Berner
Have you ever heard a southern saying that left you scratching your head in complete confusion?
We’ve taken note of some of our favorites and also provided an interpretation for you in this post. By the time you’re finished reading you’re certain to know what it means one someone says “fine as a frog’s hair split four ways.”
1. “Too big for your britches.”
To be cocky or conceited.
2. “Busy as a cat on a hot tin roof.”
Too busy attending to your own immediate needs to do anything else.
3. “Fine as frog’s hair split four ways.”
Frogs don’t have hair, so split it four ways and it becomes extremely fine indeed.
4. “Slower than molasses running uphill in the winter.”
Things don’t get much slower than molasses. Uphill in winter? You get the picture.
5. “That thing is all cattywampus.”
6. “Cain’t never could.”
You never can if you don’t try.
7. “Dills my pickle.”
8. “She could charm the dew right of the honey suckle.”
She’s likable and attractive.
9. “We’re living in high cotton.”
Rising up in society or feeling particularly wealthy.
10. “Prettier than a glob of butter melting on a stack of pancakes.”
Looks extremely good (may also say wheat cakes).
11. “Squeeze a quarter so tight the eagle screams.”
Describes a person who’s very, very cheap.
12. “I can’t hear a lick with all this hooplah.”
Can’t even hear a small amount with all the noise.
13. “She could start an argument in an empty house.”
She likes to fight.
14. “He’s so rich he buys a new boat when he gets the other one wet.”
15. “Every dog should have a few fleas.”
No one is perfect.
16. “Don’t let your mouth overload your tail.”
Don’t talk too much.
17. “Either fish or cut bait.”
18. “He’s about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle.”
He’s not useful.
19. “I have a hankerin’ for biscuits and gravy.”
I’m hungry or yearning.
20. “Quit your piddlin’ and get to work!”
Stop fooling around!
We hope you enjoyed these 20 southern sayings. Feel free to start working them in your everyday conversations.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
by Alyssa DeSio
Here at The Home T we are all about looking on the bright side, but sometimes there are days when it feels like just about everything can go wrong. Here are 5 easy ways to be more positive...
by Hannah Berner 1 Comment