by Hannah Berner
Did you know that smiles are actually contagious? It's true.
Many scientific studies show that people have difficulty frowning when they look at other people who are smiling. This concept inspired our newest shirt, Smiles Are Contagious.
When you wear this shirt, you will spread happiness one smile at a time.
It turns out, smiles have the power to do a lot of pretty cool things. We did more research to find 10 fun facts that you didn't know about your smile!
1. Making yourself smile can boost your overall mood. Psychologists have discovered that even if you are in a bad mood, a smile can instantly lift your spirits.
2. Smiling relieves stress. Smiling activates the release of neuropeptides that work toward fighting off stress and relaxing your body. They can lower your heart rate and blood pressure.
3. Smiling can work a lot of muscles! The simple act of a grin can use up to 53 facial muscles.
4. Smiles are the easiest facial expression to recognize. People can recognize smiles from up to 300 feet away, making it easier to identify than any other facial expression.
5. Babies are born knowing how to smile. Babies learn a lot of behaviors and sounds from watching the people around them, but scientists believe that all babies are born with the ability to smile, since even blind babies smile.
6. There are technically 19 different types of smiles. A UC-San Francisco researcher identified 19 types of smiles that are divided into two categories: polite “social” smiles which engage fewer muscles, and sincere “felt” smiles that use more muscles on both sides of the face.
7. Smiling can actually help you get a promotion at work. Smiles are proven to make a person come across as more attractive, sociable, sincere, and confident.
8. Women generally smile more than men. However, when they participate in similar work or social roles they smile the same amount. Gender roles are flexible but studies also show that girl babies smile more than boy babies.
9. Smiling can relieve pain. The act of smiling activates endorphins that act as a natural pain reliever- no prescriptions necessary!
10. Smiles are a universal sign of happiness. While hand shakes, hugs, and bows have different meanings across cultures, smiling is known around the world as a sign of happiness and acceptance.
Shop our Smiles Are Contagious shirt here!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
by Hannah Berner 1 Comment
by Hannah Berner 6 Comments
by Hannah Berner